Zero or Low Textbook Cost Classes at CLC
Central Lakes College offers a Z-Degree Associate of Arts. A Z-Degree is a zero-textbook-cost degree. This means that a student can earn an A.A. without buying a textbook. Any CLC student can take Z-Degree classes, and students may take as many Z-Degree classes as desired or available.
Some instructors choose to use an Open Educational Resource (OER) instead of a commercial textbook. For more information about OER, see OER and Zero Textbook Cost Courses at Central Lakes College
How do I learn more about the Z-Degree?
- Any qualifying student may seek a Z-degree. There is no special application process. Students simply register for Z-degree classes as desired/available.
- See an advisor. Find more information
How do I register for a Z-Degree class?
- Inside e-services, click on Courses and Registration.
- When you Search for a Course, click on Expand/Collapse for Advance Search.
- Under this tab, you will see an option to search for Textbook Cost. Select No Cost for Textbook to search for courses with a zero-textbook cost.
How do I access materials for my zero-textbook-cost class?
- Materials can be viewed on the web at no cost.
- Materials may be downloaded to a phone or other personal device.
- In some cases, materials can be printed at our on-campus printshop – ask your instructor about a particular class.
Can I take some classes that are zero-textbook-cost and some that are not?
- Sure! Z-Degree classes are regular classes that do not require students to purchase a textbook.
Why would I want to take zero-textbook-cost class?
- You save money because you do not have to buy a textbook.
Can anyone take zero-textbook-cost classes?
- Students may take a class if they meet the prerequisites.
What about class supplies – are these free?
- There may be a charge for class supplies such as a notebook, clay, yoga mat or tools.
Central Lakes College Open Educational Resources